We are a small company, with 5 employees making quotes. We were using Xero but decided to switch over QBO because we felt Xero was limited with it’s reporting and some of it’s functions. I had been using Quickbooks for Mac prior to Xero. I’m not sure what happened between QB for Mac and QBO but Intuit really dropped the ball on the funcationality of the online version. Here’s a short list of reasons why we’re banging our heads against the wall everytime we use QBO (this applies to this app, since the app is just a simplified browser window):
- Freezes - this happens multiple times during each session when trying to load a page or hit “save”, the window freezes and you lose everything you just worked on.
- No Markup - You can’t see your markup on estimates…kind of a big deal if your accounting software can’t tell you if you’re going to make or lose money…Quickbooks for Mac/Desktop has this feature
- Custom Layouts - You can make custom layouts for printing - problem is when you save your new designs it doesn’t actually save them properly or at all so they still look wrong
- Layers - you have to click through layers of pages to work on existing quotes, purchase orders, invoices etc. This is rediculous when we have 50 purchase orders we’re working on and each time we need to add items to one we have to cycle through pages to get to the vendor PO’s again. Add’s lots of unnecessary time to our work flow
- Item Updates - you can’t update an item from a quote/invoice/PO page. We like to keep our pricing updated and when we’re building quotes we put in an item and realize the price is no longer accurate so we need to change the price in the system. Instead of having the ability to go to the item page directly, you have to leave the quote, cycle through some pages and then search for the item, open it, change the price, save it, cycle back to the quotes, search for the one you want, and open two more pages to get back.
- Unwanted Logging Out - If you have multiple tabs open, say, to work on a quote and have another tab open to update items, it will randomly log you out on one of the tabs
- Updates Don’t take Effect - If you are working on a quote and update an item in another tab/window, the newly updated item will appear on the quote when you type it in however it will bring in all the old information. If you refresh the page it still won’t update. It will however update product once you leave the quote and re-open it. This is a royal pain to have to save and close a quote everytime you make an item change.
- The Good - QBO has a clean, simple user interface, many third party apps integrate with it.